GUSHING SPRINGS

Fountains in Kempten



Gushing Springs

Water: a precious commodity. It is vital for humans, animals and plants. Water is available in liquid, solid or gaseous form and can be found, for example, in streams, lakes, seas or wells. On the one hand, wells are used to obtain groundwater, which is needed for drinking. On the other hand, so-called ornamental fountains beautify villages and towns – as do many fountains in Kempten.

On a tour of the Allgäu metropolis, numerous fountains can be found in impressive places. The more than 40 fountains in Kempten characterise the cityscape. These are located in the city centre and beyond. On hot summer days they provide welcome cooling. As a popular meeting place for young and old, they also invite you to rest or linger.


Discover the most impressive fountains in town.

Important Fountains

St.-Mang-Brunnen

The Art Nouveau fountain on St.-Mang-Platz dates from 1905 and was designed by the sculptor Georg Wrba. As a highlight on St.-Mang-Platz, located directly at the church tower in front of the Church of St Mang of the same name, this is a listed building. Under a protective canopy stands the statue of St. Magnus of Füssen, who is considered the apostle of the Allgäu. On the outside of the fountain are positioned four animal figures (unicorn, ibex, hind, stag) made of bronze, on each of which a boy is enthroned. The differently shaped lower bodies symbolise the four elements.
Rathausbrunnen

In addition to the historic town hall, the town hall fountain also characterises the town hall square of the same name. The listed fountain from 1601 can be found on the east side of the town hall. At the top of the fountain is a roman commander holding the coats of arms of the patrician mayors of the time. Water-spouting dolphins, cherubs and the wrought-iron railing from 1886 complete the fountain. In winter, during the Christmas market, the nativity scenes of Krippenbauschule Kempten e. V. can be admired in the fountain. This is converted into an exhibition area for the valuable cribs, which are protected by a glass showcase during the winter season.

St.-Mang-Brunnen

RathausBrunnen

Fountain at the Hildegardplatz

This fountain, dating from 2013, is located directly on the popular Hildegardplatz in the former ecclesiastical town. The sculptor Christiane Sandler designed the fountain. The six animals on the shell limestone basin spout water upon pressing a button. The column in the centre of the fountain shows two children with stretched out arms under an apple tree. They symbolise the unification of the once hostile towns during the times of the double-town of Kempten. A wreath around the column is decorated with birds. After having finished your shopping at the weekly market or in one of the shops in the neighbourhood, the edge of the fountain basis invites you to take a seat and rest for a while.

UP & DOWN

Fountain in the Hofgarten

Fountain in the lower Hofgarten

In the lower courtyard garden opposite the Orangery, which houses the city library, there is a fountain with fountains in addition to beautiful flower arrangements. In the past, the courtyard garden served as a kitchen garden to supply the court kitchen. Today's layout is reminiscent of the fish ponds that were created for fish farming. For children, this fountain in Kempten is a special spectacle, because the fountains shoot several metres into the air. The fountain was designed by the architects Helmut Hahn and Wilhelm Bürgle.
Mosaic water basin

A glance at the bottom of the mosaic water basin donated by Kommerzienrat Schnitzer in 1963 in the upper part of the Hofgarten reveals the most significant buildings of the twin city to the observer. The painters Franz Weiss and Helmut Görsch decorated the fountain with images of the Basilica of St Lorenz, the historic City Hall and the Residence, among others. If you want to take a break while walking through the Court Garten, the many benches are ideal. One of them deserves special mention: the stone bench in front of the stairs leading down to the Orangery, since it is adorned with a saying in the Allgäu dialect - both were created by master stonemason Josefa Röhrle.

WITCH TRIAL

Anna-Schwegelin-Brunnen

The domestic servant Anna Maria Schwegelin, who gave this fountain its name, was allegedly the last witch on trial in Germany. According to old scripts she died in the Stockhaus. The fountain, located on the Residenzplatz, was dedicated to the Allgäu woman in 2002 in memory of her ordeal.

The fountain was designed by the sculptors Andrea Ziereis and Waltraud Funk. A stele provides information about the life of Anna Schwegelin and the witch trials of that time.

Meet Anna Schwegelin personally during a guided tour of town with theatrical scenes and go on a journey through the history of Kempten.

Mühlrad & Entenbrunnen

Mühlrad

Within the scope of refurbishing the Mühlbach quarter in 2010, a four meter high mill wheel was created together with a creek. The 140-m-long stream running through the Gerberstraße reminds one of the creek that ran through town some hundred years ago. The seats incorporated into the mill wheel are ideal to take a rest after having visited Kempten town.
Entenbrunnen

The Entenbrunnen – Duck Fountain – is located in front of the Sing- und Musikschule Kempten in Memminger Straße. This building once served as a monastery malt house and was built on marshy duck moss. The duck fountain was created by the Allgäu sculptor Hans Wachter, who worked as a freelance artist in Kempten for a long time.

mühlrad

entenbrunnen