Historic Town Hall
As early as 1368 a half-timbered house stood on the location of the present Town Hall, which was partly used as a Town Hall from 1382 onwards. Predominantly, though, it was a storage house for cereals, later replaced by a simple stone building in 1474. In the course of time this building has been modified several times, including when the imperial town and ecclesiastical town were unified and the town was given a mutual administrative council. The latest conversion of partitioning rooms as well as adjustments to the outside area took place between 1985 and 1987. To this day the lord mayor and the mayors still meet in this historic building on Kempten’s Rathausplatz, which also includes the registry office and meeting halls. The municipal administration’s remaining offices are spread across several buildings in town.